Hairstylist to celebrities √
Co-founder and owner of her own hair empire √
Mother of two √
Who says you can’t have it all?
We had the distinct pleasure to sit down with Sarah Potempa, celebrity hairstylist and co-owner of Beachwaver Co. to talk business, family and her coveted hair styling secrets. She even created some looks just for us!
You invented one of the most sought after hair styling tools on the market – the Beachwaver. Take us through your initial vision for such a genius creation.
Being a celebrity hairstylist, beauty editors and writers are always interviewing me for the way to re-create red carpet looks at home. I was on the phone with an editor explaining how to curl your hair by holding an iron upside down and wrapping hair backwards. She said that sounded too difficult to explain and awkward to hold it upside down. I got off the phone and sketched out the idea for a curling iron that you could hold upright and that would wrap the hair in an easier way.
Your company hit a pivotal moment last year when it became the official hair sponsor of the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. How did you feel?
The day of the show had an incredible amount of positive energy, from the hairdressers that love using the Beachwaver to the models who were beyond excited about how easy the tool is to use on themselves! We were so proud of creating a tool that can give all women access to creating sexy, gorgeous hair. Having the top supermodels in the world love your product is amazing, but having created a product that makes moms, teachers, lawyers, and young girls everyone feel like a supermodel is priceless!
As a mom of two, how do your tools aid in your daily routine?
It saves me so much time and my hair always looks cool! Having two young kids, I don’t have a lot of time to get ready and honestly I’m not sure if I would ever curl my hair if I didn’t have the Beachwaver. It allows me to curl all of my long hair in less than 10 minutes!
We know it can be challenging to separate work life with family life. How do you find the balance?
I’ve always kept our office within a mile or two from our house and the kids’ schools. This way it is easy to drop off and pick them up or stop by for a special event! I also make it a point to schedule family activities when I am home, like snowboarding or bowling, to encourage activity and engagement.
What inspires and motivates you to keep going on those really tough days?
I love what I do and I love my family! They both keep me motivated in different ways. I am lucky to have such a fun, creative job that is different every day. The people and team collaborations are always incredibly inspiring. When I travel for work, I make little videos in Times Square or at the beach to show the kids that I’m thinking of them and where I’m at so we are always communicating. They’ve started to make videos and send them back, which is creative and fun for them too!
Exclusive Hairstyles for YOU
Check out Sarah’s mom-friendly, time-saving hairstyles below. Look good, feel good ladies!
Pony-up for this easy tail! Created in less than 5 minutes, it adds the perfect flair to a basic, go-to look.
- Step 1 (optional): Tease hair for extra volume before creating ponytail.
- Step 2: Secure hair into ponytail, leaving a small section of hair out near the ponytail.
- Step 3: Braid small section of hair into a three-strand braid.
- Step 4: Wrap braid around base of ponytail to cover hair tie. Secure with bobby pin.
- Step 5: Beachwave ponytail with the Beachwaver S1.
In the midst of a very busy mommy lifestyle, who has time to primp and prime? You do! The braided chignon takes just a few minutes and is a perfect way to keep all the hair out of your face (and out of baby’s hands!) #winning
- Step 1: Separate hair into three clean, even sections.
- Step 2: Braid hair into a three-strand braid. Gently pull braid apart to create more volume and secure with clear elastic.
- Step 3: Using the Wrap Up, open and place at the end of the braid.
- Step 4: Pinch Wrap Up Bun closed and roll up braid until you reach your head.
- Step 5: Bend ends of Wrap Up around to form bun and adjust hair to cover the Wrap Up.
- Step 6 (optional): Add a pretty headband for a little more pop.
Nothing fishy about creating this look. The braids keep hair neatly pulled back and can be achieved in minutes so you have time to catch what’s really important, your little ones.
- Step 1: Beachwave hair with the Beachwaver for texture and shine
- Step 2: Take a small section from the left temple of your head and fishtail*
- Step 3: Do the same with a small section from the right temple
- Step 4: Once the fishtail braids reach the back the head, connect them together and continue with a regular three-strand braid. Secure with clear elastic.
*How to fishtail braid: Separate two sections of hair and grab a small section from the left and cross it over to the right. Then grab a small section from the right and cross it over to the left. Continue alternating sides until complete.
Criss Cross Bun
No wash, no problem. The criss cross bun works best on day two (or three!) old hair. It’s super easy and creates a polished, “business in the front, party in the back look.” Bring on the day!
- Step 1: Section your hair starting from the tops of your ears, making two parts: top and bottom.
- Step 2: Pull top section of hair into high ponytail.
- Step 3: Using the Wrap Up, create a bun on the top of your head.
- Step 4: Separate remaining section of lower hair into two equal sides.
- Step 5: Take the left section and wrap it up to the right side of the bun. Depending on length of hair, wrap remaining hair around base of bun and secure with bobby pin.
- Step 6: Take the right section of hair and wrap it up to the left side of the bun. Also, depending on length of hair, wrap remaining hair around base of bun and secure with bobby pin.