We’ve noticed an increasing trend in co-ed or ‘couples’ baby showers. Traditionally, the men are left out of the festivities, but with this new concept, all men, women, friends and family of the expecting parents are invited to celebrate.
The most successful co-ed baby showers have a more informal and relaxing feel with activities, food and entertainment that cater to all guests. If there is any type of organized activities, such as gift opening, it’s best to keep this loosely planned and optional. If the men don’t want to watch, be sure to plan another activity such as a card game or craft beer tasting. The less planned, the more it will feel like a party and less like a mandatory event.
We recently designed a garden inspired ‘Love In Bloom’ themed co-ed baby shower at an event space in Manhattan’s Upper West Side. It was an afternoon brunch event, with passed hors devours, a decadent dessert bar and a variety of activity stations. When the parents-to-be approached us with this theme, we wanted to ensure that the feel of a lush blooming garden was consistent throughout the space, and was incorporated into each and every detail. Here are a few tips that helped make this baby shower a success!
1. Fill the Space – When planning the décor of an event, it is always important to make sure the room is sufficiently filled with a cohesive design. To make a complete and full ambiance, we like to create vignettes or focal points that highlight the theme in various ways. For example, the room for this event was very plain; mostly all glass windows or white walls. We decided to transform these into accent walls, adorned with beautifully crafted, oversized paper flowers. A ‘Love In Bloom’ banner was hung on the center white wall and we used the back window wall as the backdrop for our dessert table. We also created custom signage for the food, beverage and activity stations throughout, incorporating craft paper and flowers to match the color scheme.
2. Make It Casual & Fun – Our clients wanted their co-ed event to have a fun and casual atmosphere. For events of this nature, we recommend passed hors d’oeuvres and food stations instead of a formal sit-down meal. This creates more of a laid-back feel in which, guests can mingle about, eat and participate in any games or activities at their leisure.
3. Personalize It – A simple and thoughtful way to incorporate the theme and color scheme into an event is with custom signage. We designed a large welcome sign, personalized with names of the parents-to-be in addition to smaller signs that coincided with the garden theme for each activity station or table. Create a polished look by framing each sign and your guests will be impressed with the attention to detail you’ve put into the décor.
4. Plan Activities for All Guests – Incorporating activities or games is always a good idea to keep guests entertained, especially for a co-ed baby shower. Having an artistic station like onesie decorating, is something that male and female guests of all ages can enjoy. The finished products are special keepsakes for the parents-to-be and during the event, they add to the décor when hung to dry! If children are attending make sure that they have a fun activity as well like face painting or a balloon artist. A ‘Wishes for Baby’ station is also very popular and any theme can be tied into this activity. For this event, we used colorful paper flower cards.
5. Create Thoughtful Favors – Guests love to take home favors, especially when they are edible treats! One of our favorites is custom macaroons. Not only are these delicious, they make for beautiful presentation, as well. Macaroons can also be dyed to match any color scheme! As with any favor, make sure to add some detail like a matching ribbon or custom favor tag to thank your guests!
Photographer: Mad Hearts Photography
Caterer: Tiny Kitchen Catering
Florals: Waterlily Designs
Cake & Cupcakes: Sugarush Bakery
Cookies: Maggie’s Bake Shoppe
Macaroon Favors: Antoinette Boulangerie
Face Painting & Balloon Making: Silly Cheeks
Written by: Katherine Kommer, the creative force behind Baby Showers Inc., a boutique event planning company based in Manhattan, that specializes in unforgettable baby showers. They are a full-service, personal firm dedicated to bringing their client’s visions to life by combining inspiration from the past, present and future while reflecting individual style.